yew(redirected from Yew Tree)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Any of several poisonous evergreen coniferous trees or shrubs of the genus Taxus, having scarlet cup-shaped arils and flat needles that are dark green above and yellowish below. Yews contain compounds used in medicine and are often grown as ornamentals.
2. The wood of any of these trees, especially the durable, fine-grained wood of the Eurasian and North African species Taxus baccata, used in cabinetmaking and for archery bows.
[Middle English, from Old English īw.]
1. (Plants) any coniferous tree of the genus Taxus, of the Old World and North America, esp T. baccata, having flattened needle-like leaves, fine-grained elastic wood, and solitary seeds with a red waxy aril resembling berries: family Taxaceae
2. (Forestry) the wood of any of these trees, used to make bows for archery
3. (Archery) archery a bow made of yew
[Old English īw; related to Old High German īwa, Old Norse ӯr yew, Latin ūva grape, Russian iva willow]
1. any of several evergreen trees or shrubs of the genus Taxus, of the family Taxaceae, having needlelike foliage and seeds enclosed in a fleshy aril.
2. the fine-grained, elastic wood of any of these trees.
3. an archer's bow made of this wood.
[before 900; Middle English ew(e), Old English ēow, ī(o)w, c. Old Saxon īh, Old High German īga, īwa, Old Norse ýr, Middle Irish eó yew (Old Irish: stem, shaft), Welsh ywen yew tree, Russian íva willow]
yew2(yu; unstressed yʊ)
Eye Dial. you.
Any of various evergreen trees or shrubs that have short, flat needles and solitary seeds contained in a red, berry-like covering instead of a cone. Yews are found chiefly in cooler temperate regions in the Northern Hemisphere.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||yew - wood of a yew; especially the durable fine-grained light brown or red wood of the English yew valued for cabinetwork and archery bows|
yew - any of numerous evergreen trees or shrubs having red cup-shaped berries and flattened needlelike leaves
wood - the hard fibrous lignified substance under the bark of trees
|2.||yew - any of numerous evergreen trees or shrubs having red cup-shaped berries and flattened needlelike leaves|
California nutmeg, nutmeg-yew, Torreya californica - California evergreen having a fruit resembling a nutmeg but with a strong turpentine flavor
stinking cedar, stinking yew, Torrey tree, Torreya taxifolia - rare small evergreen of northern Florida; its glossy green leaves have an unpleasant fetid smell when crushed
yew - wood of a yew; especially the durable fine-grained light brown or red wood of the English yew valued for cabinetwork and archery bows
English yew, Old World yew, Taxus baccata - predominant yew in Europe; extraordinarily long-lived and slow growing; one of the oldest species in the world
California yew, Pacific yew, Taxus brevifolia, western yew - small or medium irregularly branched tree of the Pacific coast of North America; yields fine hard close-grained wood
Japanese yew, Taxus cuspidata - shrubby hardy evergreen of China and Japan having lustrous dark green foliage; cultivated in the eastern United States
Florida yew, Taxus floridana - small bushy yew of northern Florida having spreading branches and very narrow leaves
Austrotaxus spicata, New Caledonian yew - large yew native to New Caledonia; cultivated in eastern Australia and New Zealand and Hawaii
Pseudotaxus chienii, white-berry yew - yew of southeastern China, differing from the Old World yew in having white berries
cây thủy tùng
yew[juː] N (also yew tree) → tejo m
yew[juː] n (also yew tree) → tasso
a type of evergreen tree with dark leaves and red berries. taksus شَجَر الطَّقْسوس тис teixo tis die Eibe takstræ είδος αειθαλούς δέντρου tejo jugapuu سرخدار marjakuusi if טַקְסוּס (סוג עץ) सदाबहार वृक्ष की लकड़ी tisa tiszafa sejenis cemara ÿviður, ÿr tasso いちい 주목(朱木) kukmedis īve pokok yew taxusboombarlindcis يوتل شنه ونه يا بوټي چې اكثره په پار كوكې دښكلا دپاره ايښودل كيږي (يو teixo tisă тис tis tisa tuja idegran ต้นไม้ใหญ่ชนิดหนึ่งใบเล็กเรียว porsuk ağacı 紫杉木 тисове дерево گہرے رنگ کے پتّوں اور سرخ پھلوں والا سدابہار درخت cây thủy tùng 紫杉木