yeoman(redirected from Yoeman Farmers)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
a. An attendant, servant, or lesser official in a royal or noble household.
b. A yeoman of the guard.
2. A petty officer performing chiefly clerical duties in the US Navy.
3. An assistant or other subordinate, as of a sheriff.
4. A diligent, dependable worker.
5. A farmer who cultivates his own land, especially a member of a former class of small freeholders in England.
n, pl -men
1. (Historical Terms) history
a. a member of a class of small freeholders of common birth who cultivated their own land
b. an assistant or other subordinate to an official, such as a sheriff, or to a craftsman or trader
c. an attendant or lesser official in a royal or noble household
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (in Britain) another name for yeoman of the guard
3. (Historical Terms) (modifier) characteristic of or relating to a yeoman
4. (Military) a petty officer or noncommissioned officer in the Royal Navy or Marines in charge of signals
[C15: perhaps from yongman young man]
n., pl. -men,
1. an enlisted person in the U.S. Navy whose duties are chiefly clerical.
2. Brit. a farmer who cultivates his own land.
3. (formerly, in England)adj.
a. one of a class of lesser freeholders, below the gentry, who cultivated their own land.
b. an attendant in a royal or other great household.
c. an assistant, as of a sheriff or other official.
4. of or pertaining to yeomen.
5. (esp. of an arduous task) performed in a loyal, valiant, or workmanlike manner.