Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. Yoruba or Yo·ru·bas
1. A member of a West African people living chiefly in southwest Nigeria.
2. The Benue-Congo language of this people.
npl -bas or -ba
1. (Peoples) a member of a Negroid people of W Africa, living chiefly in the coastal regions of SW Nigeria: noted for their former city-states and complex material culture, particularly as evidenced in their music, art, and sculpture
2. (Languages) the language of this people, belonging to the Kwa branch of the Niger-Congo family
Yo•ru•ba(ˈyɔr ə bə, ˈyoʊr-)
n., pl. -bas, (esp. collectively) -ba.
1. a member of an African people or group of peoples of SW Nigeria, Benin, and Togo.
2. the Kwa language of the Yoruba.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Yoruba - a member of a West African people living chiefly in southwestern Nigeria|
Nigerian - a native or inhabitant of Nigeria
|2.||Yoruba - a Kwa language spoken by the Yoruba in southwestern Nigeria|
Kwa - a group of African language in the Niger-Congo group spoken from the Ivory Coast east to Nigeria