tael(redirected from Yuanbao)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial.
Related to Yuanbao: sycee
1. Any of various units of weight used in eastern Asia, roughly equivalent to 38 grams (1 1/3 ounces).
2. A unit of currency formerly used in China, equivalent in value to this weight of standard silver.
[Portuguese, from Malay tahil, probably from Javanese, from Old Javanese tahil, to weigh.]
1. (Units) a unit of weight, used in the Far East, having various values between one to two and a half ounces
2. (Currencies) (formerly) a Chinese monetary unit equivalent in value to a tael weight of standard silver
[C16: from Portuguese, from Malay tahil weight, perhaps from Hindi tolā weight of a new rupee, from Sanskrit tulā weight]
2. any of various units of weight in the Far East.
3. a former Chinese money of account equal in value to a tael of silver.
[1580–90; < Portuguese < Malay tahil liang]