|Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus - The Free Dictionary|
5,167,335,675 visitors served.
|Also found in: Encyclopedia, Wikipedia||0.01 sec.|
1. (Spirituality, New Age, Astrology & Self-help / Astrology) an imaginary belt extending 8° either side of the ecliptic, which contains the 12 zodiacal constellations and within which the moon and planets appear to move. It is divided into 12 equal areas, called signs of the zodiac, each named after the constellation which once lay in it
2. (Spirituality, New Age, Astrology & Self-help / Astrology) Astrology a diagram, usually circular, representing this belt and showing the symbols, illustrations, etc., associated with each of the 12 signs of the zodiac, used to predict the future
3. Rare a complete circuit; circle
[from Old French zodiaque, from Latin zōdiacus, from Greek zōidiakos (kuklos) (circle) of signs, from zōidion animal sign, carved figure, from zōion animal]
zodiacal [zəʊˈdaɪəkəl] adj
zo•di•ac (ˈzoʊ diˌæk)
1. an imaginary belt extending about 8° on each side of the ecliptic and containing the paths of the sun, moon, and principal planets through 12 constellations or signs.
2. a diagram representing this and often containing the symbol for each sign of the zodiac.
3. a circuit or round.
[1350–1400; Middle English zodiaque < Latin zōdiacus < Greek zōidiakòs(kýklos) signal (circle) <zṓidi(on) animal sign (zô(ion) animal]
zo•di•a•cal (zoʊˈdaɪ ə kəl) adj.
Zodiac a recurrent series; a round; a set of twelve.
Examples: zodiac of the twelve apostles, 1631; of my expectations, 1609; of fcasts, 1856; of life, 1560; of learned lives, 1742; of wit, 1586.
Thesaurus Legend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Signs of the Zodiac
Aquarius (the Water Carrier), Aries (the Ram), Cancer (the Crab), Capricorn (the Goat), Gemini (the Twins), Leo (the Lion), Libra (the Scales), Pisces (the Fishes), Sagittarius (the Archer), Scorpio (the Scorpion), Taurus (the Bull), Virgo (the Virgin)
Chinese animal years
zodiac [ˈzəʊdɪæk] N → zodíaco m
zodiac → دائرة البروج zvěrokruh dyrekreds Tierkreis ζωδιακός κύκλος zodíaco eläinrata zodiaque horoskop zodiaco 十二宮 12궁도 dierenriem zodiak zodiak zodíaco зодиак zodiak จักรราศี burçlar kuşağı hoàng đạo 十二宫
zodiac [ˈzəʊdɪæk] n → zodiaco
Want to thank TFD for its existence? Tell a friend about us, add a link to this page, add the site to iGoogle, or visit the webmaster's page for free fun content.
|Mentioned in||?||References in periodicals archive||?||Dictionary browser||?||Full browser||?|
Aquarius the Water Bearer
Aries the Ram
Cancer the Crab
Capricorn the Goat
As the Sun moves through the twelve zodiacal constellations, so it influences different areas of our lives.
Note by the Editor: the hieroglyphic text accompanying this figure is believed to read ''Number reckoner of the Delta astronomer''; and Harvard scientists developed a wood model based on the sketch, calibrated to give time by night, the position of the zodiacal constellations at all hours for all days of the year, the daily correction of correction of cross staff zenith angle to yield latitude, and the daily position of the sun on the ecliptic.
THE FRIEZE The frieze features twelve panels showing myths of the creation of the twelve zodiacal constellations (figs.
Zodiac Alliance of Freedom Treaty
Zodiac Clothing Company Limited
Zodiac Electronic Sultan
Zodiac of North America, Inc.
Zodiacal constellationszodiacal counterglow
Zodiacal History File
Zodiacal Infrared Project
Zodiacal Observational History File
Zodiak Broadcasting Station
|Dictionary, Thesaurus, and Translations|
Free toolbar & extensions |
Word of the Day |
For webmasters: Free content | Linking | Lookup box | Double-click lookup