Zurich(redirected from Zuerich)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
A city of northeast Switzerland at the northern tip of the Lake of Zurich. Founded before Roman times, Zurich was chartered in 1218 and joined the Swiss Confederation in 1351. In the 1500s, it was a center of the Swiss Reformation under the leadership of Ulrich Zwingli. Today it is the largest city in the country. Zurich is known for its international banking and financial institutions.
Zürich(ˈzjʊərɪk; German ˈtsyːrɪç)
1. (Placename) a canton of NE Switzerland: mainly Protestant and German-speaking. Capital: Zürich. Pop: 342 500 (2002 est). Area: 1729 sq km (668 sq miles)
2. (Placename) a city in NE Switzerland, the capital of Zürich canton, on Lake Zürich: the largest city and industrial centre in Switzerland; centre of the Swiss Reformation; financial centre. Pop: 358 540 (2007)
3. (Placename) Lake Zürich a lake in N Switzerland, mostly in Zürich canton. Area: 89 sq km (34 sq miles)
1. a canton in N Switzerland. 1,175,457; 668 sq. mi. (1730 sq. km).
2. the capital of this canton, on the Lake of Zurich. 840,313.
3. Lake of, a lake in N Switzerland. 34 sq. mi. (88 sq. km). German, Zü•rich (ˈtsü rɪx) (for defs. 1,2).