dher- / Indo-European roots
Examples of words with the root dher-: affirm, churidar, confirm, dharma, dharna, farm, fermata, firm, infirm, sirdar, tahsildar, throne, zamindar.
To hold firmly, support.
▲ Derivatives include infirmary, throne.
1. Suffixed form *dher-mo-. farm, fermata, firm1, firm2, firmament; affirm, confirm, furl, infirm, infirmary from Latin firmus, firm, strong.
2. Perhaps extended form *dhergh-, seen by some as the source of Latin fortis, strong, but this is more likely from bhergh-2
3. Suffixed zero-grade form *dhr-ono-. throne from Greek thronos, seat, throne (< "support").
4. Suffixed form *dher-mn̥. dharma from Sanskrit dharma, statute, law (< "that which is established firmly").
5. Suffixed form *dher-eno-. dharna from Prakrit dharaṇa, a holding firm.
6. Suffixed o-grade form *dhor-o-. churidar, sirdar, tahsildar, zamindar from Iranian dāra-, holding, whence Persian -dār.
[Pokorny 2. dher- 252.]