dhwer- / Indo-European roots
Examples of words with the root dhwer-: door, durbar, faubourg, foreclose, foreign, forensic, forest, forum, thyroid.
Door, doorway (usually in plural).Originally an ablauting noun *dhwor, *dhur-, in the plural, designating the entrance to the enclosure (*dhwor-o-) surrounding the house proper.
▲ Derivatives include forest, foreign.
1. Zero-grade form *dhur- in suffixed forms *dhur-n̥s (accusative plural) and *dhur-o- (neuter) door from Old English duru, door (feminine, originally plural), and dor, door (neuter), respectively from Germanic *durunz and *duram.
2. Suffixed o-grade form *dhwor-āns (accusative plural) farouche, foreign, vicar forane from Latin forās, (toward) out of doors, outside.
3. Suffixed o-grade form *dhwor-ois (locative plural) forest; afforest, faubourg, foreclose, forfeit from Latin forīs, (being) out of doors.
4. Suffixed o-grade form *dhwor-o-. forensic, forum from Latin forum, marketplace (originally the enclosed space around a home).
5. Dari; durbar from Old Persian duvara-, door, gate.
6. Zero-grade form *dhur-. thyroid; thyreophoran from Greek thurā, door.
[Pokorny dhu̯ē̆r- 278.]