me- / Indo-European roots
Examples of words with the root me-: Madame, mavourneen, me, meta-, midwife, mine, Monsieur, my, Mynheer, myself.
Oblique form of the personal pronoun of the first person singular.For the nominative see eg
1. me, myself from Old English mē̆ (dative and accusative), from Germanic *mē̆-.
2. Possessive adjective *mei-no-.
a. mine2, my from Old English mīn, my;
b. Mynheer from Middle Dutch mijn, my. Both a and b from Germanic *mīn-.
3. Possessive adjective *me-yo-. Madame, Monsieur from Latin meus, mine.
4. Genitive form *me-wo. mavourneen from Old Irish mo, my.
[Pokorny 1. me- 702.]
In the middle of.
1. Suffixed form *me-dhi. midwife from Old English mid, among, with, from Germanic *mid-.
2. Suffixed form *me-ta. meta- from Greek meta, between, with, beside, after.
[Pokorny 2. me- 702.]