Mentioned in ?
References in classic literature ?
To sage Philosophy next lend thine ear, From heaven descended to the low-roofed house Of Socrates--see there his tenement-- Whom, well inspired, the Oracle pronounced Wisest of men; from whose mouth issued forth Mellifluous streams, that watered all the schools Of Academics old and new, with those Surnamed Peripatetics, and the sect Epicurean, and the Stoic severe.
Verily, on soft soles doth it come to me, the dearest of thieves, and stealeth from me my thoughts: stupid do I then stand, like this academic chair.
The early Greek epic -- that is, poetry as a natural and popular, and not (as it became later) an artificial and academic literary form -- passed through the usual three phases, of development, of maturity, and of decline.
TWO YEARS AFTER I left Lincoln, I completed my academic course at Harvard.
His great ability as a phonetician (he was, I think, the best of them all at his job) would have entitled him to high official recognition, and perhaps enabled him to popularize his subject, but for his Satanic contempt for all academic dignitaries and persons in general who thought more of Greek than of phonetics.
He had, as well as the doctor, an academic education; for his father had, with the same paternal authority we have mentioned before, decreed him for holy orders; but as the old gentleman died before he was ordained, he chose the church military, and preferred the king's commission to the bishop's.
I found that during my absence from Hampton the institute each year had been getting closer to the real needs and conditions of our people; that the industrial reaching, as well as that of the academic department, had greatly improved.
His work is like exquisite modern Latin verse, into the academic shape of which, discreet and coy, comes a sincere, deeply felt consciousness of modern life, of the modern world as it is.
I felt that I was wasting my time in the academic examination of machinery.
Yes," said D'Artagnan, "'tis the true guard - the academic guard.
I did not send for you to enter into an academic discussion.
Neither did her courage flag, although it was put to terrific tests when she entered the academic groves of Wareham.
Dictionary browser ?
- academic administrator
- academic costume
- academic degree
- academic department
- academic dress
- academic freedom
- academic gown
- academic press
- academic program
- academic relation
- academic requirement
- academic robe
- academic session
- academic term
- academic year
- Academy Award
- Academy Awards ceremony
- Academy figure
- Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
- Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
- Acadia National Park
- Acadian epoch
- Acadian owl
- açaí palm
Full browser ?
- Academical Village People
- Academically and Intellectually Gifted
- Academically Gifted
- Academically Gifted and Talented
- Academically High Aptitude Program
- Academically Talented
- Academically Talented Youth Program
- Academics & Research
- Academics For Academic Freedom
- Academics for Affirmative Action and Social Justice
- Academics for Mumia Abu-Jamal
- Academics Plus Charter School
- Academics, Athletics, Arts
- Academicus Martini Quinti Ordo
- Academicus Neo Lovaniensis Ordo
- Academicus Sanctae Barbae Ordo
- Académie Africaine des Langues
- Académie Arts Martiaux & Culture
- Academie Beeldende Kunst Maastricht
- Académie Canadienne de la Défense
- Académie Canadienne de Médecine du Sport
- Academie Catholique Mere Teresa
- Académie Chrétienne de la Rive Nord
- Académie d'Agriculture de France
- Académie d'Alsace
- Académie d'architecture
- Académie d'Armes de France
- Académie d'Education et d'Etudes Sociales
- Académie de l'Art de Carthage