accented(redirected from accentedly)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. The relative prominence of a particular syllable of a word by greater intensity or by variation or modulation of pitch or tone.
2. Vocal prominence or emphasis given to a particular syllable, word, or phrase.
3. A characteristic pronunciation, especially:
a. One determined by the regional or social background of the speaker.
b. One determined by the phonetic habits of the speaker's native language carried over to his or her use of another language.
4. A mark or symbol used in the printing and writing of certain languages to indicate the vocal quality to be given to a particular letter: an acute accent.
5. A mark or symbol used in printing and writing to indicate the stressed syllables of a spoken word.
6. Rhythmically significant stress in a line of verse.
a. Emphasis or prominence given to a note or chord, as by an increase in volume or extended duration.
b. A mark representing this.
a. A mark used as a superscript to distinguish among variables represented by the same symbol.
b. A mark used as a superscript to indicate the first derivative of a variable.
9. A mark or one of several marks used as a superscript to indicate a unit, such as feet (′) and inches (") in linear measurement.
a. A distinctive feature or quality, such as a feature that accentuates, contrasts with, or complements a decorative style.
b. Something that accentuates or contrasts something else, as a touch of color that makes the features of an image stand out.
11. Particular importance or interest; emphasis: The accent is on comfort. See Synonyms at emphasis.
tr.v. (ăk′sĕnt′, ăk-sĕnt′) ac·cent·ed, ac·cent·ing, ac·cents
1. To stress or emphasize the pronunciation of: accented the first syllable in "debacle."
2. To mark with a printed accent.
3. To focus attention on; accentuate: a program that accents leadership development.
1. characterized by the particular mode of pronunciation of a person or group, esp one that betrays social or geographical origin
2. (Linguistics) linguistics marked by an accent in writing, speech, music, etc
3. given particular emphasis or stress
a. acentuado-a, con enfasis.