Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Wikipedia.
v. ac·cret·ed, ac·cret·ing, ac·cretes
To make larger or greater, as by increased growth.
1. To grow together; fuse.
2. To grow or increase gradually, as by addition.
[Back-formation from accretion.]
1. to grow or cause to grow together; be or become fused
2. to make or become bigger, as by addition
[C18: back formation from accretion]
v. -cret•ed, -cret•ing,
1. to grow together; adhere (usu. fol. by to).v.t.
2. to add, as by growth.adj.
3. Bot. grown together.
[1775–85; back formation from accretion]
Past participle: accreted
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||accrete - grow together (of plants and organs); "After many years the rose bushes grew together"|
|2.||accrete - grow or become attached by accretion; "The story accreted emotion"|