blind staggers(redirected from acute selenium poisoning)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
Related to acute selenium poisoning: selenium intoxication
(Veterinary Science) (functioning as singular) vet science another name for staggers
1. to walk, move, or stand unsteadily.
2. to falter or begin to give way, as in an argument.
3. to waver or hesitate, as in purpose or resolve.v.t.
4. to cause to reel, totter, or become unsteady.
5. to astonish or shock: a fact that staggers the mind.
6. to cause to waver or falter.
7. to arrange in an alternating pattern: to stagger lunch hours.n.
8. the act of staggering; a reeling or tottering movement.
9. a staggered order or arrangement.
10. staggers, (used with a sing. v.) any of several severe diseases of livestock characterized by a staggering gait.
[1520–30; earlier stacker to reel, Middle English stakeren < Old Norse stakra to reel =stak(a) to stagger + -ra frequentative suffix]