Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
Related to ad lib: ad libitum feeding
ad lib(ăd lĭb′)
In an unrestrained manner; spontaneously.
[Short for ad libitum.]
ad lib(æd ˈlɪb, ˈæd)
1. something improvised in speech, music, etc.adv.
2. at one's pleasure; without restriction.
3. freely; as needed.
[1810–20; see ad libitum]
v. -libbed, -lib•bing,
1. to improvise all or part of (a speech, a piece of music, etc.).v.i.
2. to act, speak, etc., without preparation.adj.
3. impromptu; extemporaneous: ad-lib remarks.
Shortened from ad libitum, a Latin phrase meaning at your pleasure, used to mean spontaneous or improvised.
adv → aus dem Stegreif