Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to adder: puff adder, Full adder
One that adds, especially a computational device that performs arithmetic addition.
1. Any of several venomous snakes, especially a viper of the subfamily Viperinae.
2. Any of several nonvenomous snakes, such as the hognose snake, often believed to be harmful.
[Middle English, from an addre, alteration of a naddre, a snake, from Old English nǣdre, snake.]
1. (Animals) Also called: viper a common viper, Vipera berus, that is widely distributed in Europe, including Britain, and Asia and is typically dark greyish in colour with a black zigzag pattern along the back
2. (Animals) any of various similar venomous or nonvenomous snakes
[Old English nǣdre snake; in Middle English a naddre was mistaken for an addre; related to Old Norse nathr, Gothic nadrs]
(Computer Science) a person or thing that adds, esp a single element of an electronic computer, the function of which is to add a single digit of each of two inputs
1. the common European viper, Vipera berus.
2. any of various snakes resembling the viper.
[before 950; late Middle English; replacing Middle English nadder (a nadder becoming an adder by misdivision), Old English næddre]
a person or thing that adds.
adder- A snake, it was first "a nadder," which was misanalyzed to "an adder."
See also related terms for snake.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||adder - a person who adds numbers|
|2.||adder - a machine that adds numbers|
|3.||adder - small terrestrial viper common in northern Eurasia|
viper - venomous Old World snakes characterized by hollow venom-conducting fangs in the upper jaw