Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The atmospheric glow that remains for a short time after sunset.
2. The light emitted after removal of a source of energy, especially:
a. The glow of an incandescent metal as it cools.
b. The emission of light from a phosphor after removal of excitation.
3. The comfortable feeling following a pleasant experience.
4. A lingering impression of past glory or success.
1. (Physical Geography) the glow left after a light has disappeared, such as that sometimes seen after sunset
2. (Metallurgy) the glow of an incandescent metal after the source of heat has been removed
3. (General Physics) physics luminescence persisting on the screen of a cathode-ray tube or in a gas-discharge tube after the power supply has been disconnected
4. a trace, impression, etc, of past emotion, brilliance, etc
af•ter•glow(ˈæf tərˌgloʊ, ˈɑf-)
1. the glow frequently seen in the sky after sunset.
2. the pleasant remembrance of a past experience, glory, etc.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||afterglow - a glow sometimes seen in the sky after sunset|
atmospheric phenomenon - a physical phenomenon associated with the atmosphere
|2.||afterglow - the pleasure of remembering some pleasant event; "he basked in the afterglow of his victory"|
pleasantness - the feeling caused by agreeable stimuli; one pole of a continuum of states of feeling