Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to agglutinative: Agglutinative language
1. The act or process of agglutinating; adhesion of distinct parts.
2. A clumped mass of material formed by agglutination. Also called agglutinate.
3. Biology The clumping together of cells or particles, especially bacteria or red blood cells, usually in the presence of a specific antibody or other substance.
4. Linguistics The formation of words from morphemes that retain their original forms and meanings with little change during the combination process.
ag·glu′ti·na′tive (-n-ā′tĭv, -ə-tĭv) adj.
ag•glu•ti•na•tive(əˈglut nˌeɪ tɪv, əˈglut n ə-)
1. tending or having power to agglutinate or unite.
2. of or designating a language, as Turkish, characterized by agglutination.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||agglutinative - forming derivative or compound words by putting together constituents each of which expresses a single definite meaning|
synthetic - systematic combining of root and modifying elements into single words
|2.||agglutinative - united as if by glue|
adhesive - tending to adhere