Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to agouti: Common agouti
n. pl. a·go·tis or a·gou·ti
1. Any of several burrowing rodents of the genus Dasyprocta, native to tropical America and having a grizzled dark brown to orange coat.
2. A grizzled coat type in various animals that is produced by alternate bands of light and dark color on each hair shaft.
[French, from American Spanish agutí, from Guaraní acutí.]
n, pl -tis or -ties
1. (Animals) any hystricomorph rodent of the genus Dasyprocta, of Central and South America and the Caribbean: family Dasyproctidae. Agoutis are agile and long-legged, with hooflike claws, and are valued for their meat
2. (Zoology) a pattern of fur in certain rodents, characterized by irregular stripes
[C18: via French and Spanish from Guarani]
n., pl. -tis, -ties.
1. any of several short-eared, rabbitlike New World rodents of the genus Dasyprocta, common from Mexico to Peru.
2. an irregularly barred pattern of the fur of certain rodents.
[1725–35; < French < Sp agutí < Tupi agutí]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||agouti - agile long-legged rabbit-sized rodent of Central America and South America and the West Indies; valued as food|
gnawer, rodent - relatively small placental mammals having a single pair of constantly growing incisor teeth specialized for gnawing