auricle(redirected from ala auris)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
a. The outer projecting portion of the ear. Also called pinna.
b. See atrium.
2. Biology An earlobe-shaped part, process, or appendage, especially at the base of an organ.
[Middle English, auricle of the heart, from Old French, little ear, from Latin auricula, ear, earlier diminutive of auris, ear; see ous- in Indo-European roots.]
au′ri·cled (-kəld) adj.
a. the upper chamber of the heart; atrium
b. a small sac in the atrium of the heart
2. (Anatomy) anatomy Also called: pinna the external part of the ear
3. (Biology) biology Also called: auricula an ear-shaped part or appendage, such as that occurring at the join of the leaf blade and the leaf sheath in some grasses
[C17: from Latin auricula the external ear, from auris ear]
au•ri•cle(ˈɔr ɪ kəl)
1. the outer ear; pinna.
2. (loosely) the atrium of the heart.
3. a part like or likened to an ear.
1. The visible part of the outer ear.
2. An atrium of the heart.
The external ear flap or pinna; also an appendage to an atrium of the heart.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||auricle - a small conical pouch projecting from the upper anterior part of each atrium of the heart|
|2.||auricle - the externally visible cartilaginous structure of the external ear|
tragus - a small cartilaginous flap in front of the external opening of the ear
cauliflower ear - an auricle deformed by injury; common among boxers
cartilaginous structure - body structure given shape by cartilage
auricle[ˈɔːrɪkl] N → aurícula f
1. oreja, la parte externa del oído;
2. cada una de las dos cavidades superiores del corazón;