Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to albedo: solar constant
n. pl. al·be·dos
1. The fraction of incident electromagnetic radiation reflected by a surface, especially of a celestial body.
2. The spongy white tissue on the inside of the rind of citrus fruit.
1. (General Physics) the ratio of the intensity of light reflected from an object, such as a planet, to that of the light it receives from the sun
2. (General Physics) physics the probability that a neutron passing through a surface will return through that surface
[C19: from Church Latin: whiteness, from Latin albus white]
n., pl. -dos.
1. the ratio of the light reflected by a planet or satellite to that received by it.
2. the white inner rind of a citrus fruit.
[1855–60; < Late Latin albēdō whiteness =alb(us) white + -ēdō n. suffix; compare torpedo]
the ratio between the light reflected from a surf ace and the total light falling upon that surf ace, as the albedo of the moon.See also: Light
the ratio between the light reflected from a surface and the total light falling upon that surface, as the albedo of the moon.See also: Astronomy
The proportion of incoming light that is reflected by a celestial body, e.g. the Moon reflects 7% of the sunlight that it receives.