aligned(redirected from alignedly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
v. a·ligned, a·lign·ing, a·ligns
1. To arrange in a line or so as to be parallel: align the tops of a row of pictures; aligned the car with the curb.
2. To adjust (parts of a mechanism, for example) to produce a proper relationship or orientation: aligning the wheels of a truck.
3. To ally (oneself, for example) with one side of an argument or cause: aligned themselves with the free traders.
1. To adhere to a prescribed course of action.
2. To move or be adjusted into proper relationship or orientation.
[French aligner, from Old French : a-, to (from Latin ad-; see ad-) + ligne, line (from Latin līnea; see line1).]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||aligned - brought into agreement or cooperation on the side of a faction, party, or cause|
nonaligned - not affiliated with any faction, party, or cause
|2.||aligned - in a straight line; "pearly teeth evenly aligned"|
straight - having no deviations; "straight lines"; "straight roads across the desert"; "straight teeth"; "straight shoulders"