Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Wikipedia.
Related to also-ran: Propylidene
1. A horse that does not win, place, or show in a race.
2. A loser in a competition, as in an election: "What separates the chess champions from the also-rans ... ?" (Paul Tough).
3. One that has little talent or success: just an also-ran in the art world.
1. (General Sporting Terms) a contestant, horse, etc, failing to finish among the first three in a race
2. an unsuccessful person; loser or nonentity
1. (in a race) a contestant who fails to win or to place among the first three finishers.
2. a person who loses any contest.
3. a person who attains little or no success.