Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Of or relating to an alveolus.
a. Relating to the jaw section containing the tooth sockets: the alveolar ridge.
b. Relating to the alveoli of the lungs.
3. Linguistics Formed with the tip of the tongue touching or near the inner ridge of the gums of the upper front teeth, as the English (t), (d), and (s).
An alveolar sound.
1. (Anatomy) anatomy of, relating to, or resembling an alveolus
2. (Anatomy) denoting the part of the jawbone containing the roots of the teeth
3. (Phonetics & Phonology) (of a consonant) articulated with the tongue in contact with the projecting part of the jawbone immediately behind the upper teeth
(Phonetics & Phonology) an alveolar consonant, such as the speech sounds written t, d, and s in English
al•ve•o•lar(ælˈvi ə lər)
1. of or pertaining to alveoli.
2. (of a consonant sound) articulated with the tongue touching or close to the alveolar ridge behind the upper front teeth, as English (t), (d), or (n).n.
3. an alveolar sound.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||alveolar - a consonant articulated with the tip of the tongue near the gum ridge|
consonant - a speech sound that is not a vowel
|Adj.||1.||alveolar - pertaining to the tiny air sacs of the lungs|
|2.||alveolar - pertaining to the sockets of the teeth or that part of the upper jaw; "alveolar processes"|