Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. (Islam) a variant spelling of emir
2. (Historical Terms) (formerly) the ruler of Afghanistan; amir
1. a prince, commander, or head of state in some Islamic countries.
2. a title of honor of the descendants of Muhammad.
3. (cap.) the former title of the ruler of Afghanistan.
4. a title of certain Turkish officials.
[1615–25; < Arabic amīr commander]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ameer - an independent ruler or chieftain (especially in Africa or Arabia)|
Arabia, Arabian Peninsula - a peninsula between the Red Sea and the Persian Gulf; strategically important for its oil resources
Africa - the second largest continent; located to the south of Europe and bordered to the west by the South Atlantic and to the east by the Indian Ocean