Also found in: Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. One that amplifies, enlarges, or extends.
a. An electronic device that is used to increase the magnitude of an electrical signal.
b. A device that is used to increase the magnitude of an information-carrying signal.
1. (Electronics) an electronic device used to increase the strength of the signal fed into it
2. (Electronics) such a device used for the amplification of audio frequency signals in a radio, etc
3. (Photography) photog an additional lens for altering the focal length of a camera lens
4. a person or thing that amplifies
am•pli•fi•er(ˈæm pləˌfaɪ ər)
1. a person or device that amplifies or enlarges.
2. an electronic component or circuit for amplifying power, current, or voltage.
An electronic device that increases the strength of a signal.
|Noun||1.||amplifier - electronic equipment that increases strength of signals passing through it|
audio amplifier - an amplifier that increases the amplitude of reproduced sound
booster amplifier, booster station, relay link, relay station, relay transmitter, booster - an amplifier for restoring the strength of a transmitted signal
electronic equipment - equipment that involves the controlled conduction of electrons (especially in a gas or vacuum or semiconductor)
maser - an acronym for microwave amplification by stimulated emission of radiation; an amplifier that works on the same principle as a laser and emits coherent microwave radiation
P.A., P.A. system, PA system, public address system, PA - an electronic amplification system used as a communication system in public areas
radio receiver, radio set, receiving set, tuner, radio, wireless - an electronic receiver that detects and demodulates and amplifies transmitted signals
amplifier[ˈæmplɪfaɪəʳ] N → amplificador m
amplifier[ˈæmplɪfaɪər] n → amplificateur m
n (Rad) → Verstärker m