ancien régime(redirected from ancien regime)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
an·cien ré·gime(äN-syăN′ rā-zhēm′)
1. The political and social system that existed in France before the Revolution of 1789.
2. pl. an·ciens ré·gimes (äN-syăN′ rā-zhēm′) A sociopolitical or other system that no longer exists.
[French : ancien, old + régime, regime.]
ancien régime(ɑ̃sjɛ̃ reʒim)
n, pl anciens régimes (ɑ̃sjɛ̃ reʒim)
1. (Historical Terms) the political and social system of France before the Revolution of 1789
2. a former or outdated regime
[literally: old regime]
an•cien ré•gime(ɑ̃ syɛ̃ reɪˈʒim)
1. the political and social system of France before the revolution of 1789.
2. any former political and social system.
The name given to the social system in force in France before 1789.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ancien regime - a political and social system that no longer governs (especially the system that existed in France before the French Revolution)|
authorities, government, regime - the organization that is the governing authority of a political unit; "the government reduced taxes"; "the matter was referred to higher authorities"