tract(redirected from anterior spinocerebellar tract)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to anterior spinocerebellar tract: Dorsal spinocerebellar tract
a. An expanse of land or water.
b. A specified or limited area of land: developing a 30-acre tract.
a. A system of organs and tissues that together perform a specialized function: the alimentary tract.
b. A bundle of nerve fibers having a common origin, termination, and function.
3. Archaic A stretch or lapse of time.
[Middle English, period of time, from Latin tractus, course, space, period of time, from past participle of trahere, to draw.]
A leaflet or pamphlet containing a declaration or appeal, especially one put out by a religious or political group.
[Middle English tracte, treatise, probably short for Latin tractātus, from past participle of tractāre, to discuss, frequentative of trahere, to draw.]
The verses from Scripture sung after the gradual in the Roman Catholic Mass during penitential seasons such as Lent or as part of a Requiem.
[Middle English tracte, from Medieval Latin tractus, from Latin, a drawing out (from its being an uninterrupted solo); see tract1.]
1. an extended area, as of land
2. (Anatomy) anatomy a system of organs, glands, or other tissues that has a particular function: the digestive tract.
3. (Anatomy) a bundle of nerve fibres having the same function, origin, and termination: the optic tract.
4. archaic an extended period of time
[C15: from Latin tractus a stretching out, from trahere to drag]
(Journalism & Publishing) a treatise or pamphlet, esp a religious or moralistic one
[C15: from Latin tractātus tractate]
(Roman Catholic Church) RC Church an anthem in some Masses
[C14: from Medieval Latin tractus cantus extended song; see tract1]
1. an expanse or area of land, water, etc.; region; stretch.
a. a definite region or area of the body, esp. a system of elongated parts or organs: the digestive tract.
b. a bundle of nerve fibers having a common origin and destination.
3. a stretch or period of time; interval; lapse.
4. a Roman Catholic penitential anthem consisting of scriptural verses, sung after the gradual, esp. before Easter.
[1350–1400; < Latin tractus stretch (of space or time), a drawing out, derivative of trahere to draw]
a brief treatise or pamphlet for general distribution, usu. on a religious or political topic.
[1400–50; late Middle English tracte, appar. shortening of Medieval Latin tractātus tractate]
A system of body organs and connected parts that work together to perform a specialized function, such as digestion.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tract - an extended area of land |
baseball diamond, infield, diamond - the area of a baseball field that is enclosed by 3 bases and home plate
center field, centerfield, center - the piece of ground in the outfield directly ahead of the catcher; "he hit the ball to deep center"
left field, leftfield, left - the piece of ground in the outfield on the catcher's left; "the batter flied out to left"
outfield - the area of a baseball playing field beyond the lines connecting the bases
short - the location on a baseball field where the shortstop is stationed
railway yard, railyard, yard - an area having a network of railway tracks and sidings for storage and maintenance of cars and engines
desert - arid land with little or no vegetation
oasis - a fertile tract in a desert (where the water table approaches the surface)
battlefield, battleground, field of battle, field of honor, field - a region where a battle is being (or has been) fought; "they made a tour of Civil War battlefields"
minefield - a region in which explosives mines have been placed
breeding ground - a place where animals breed
field - a piece of land cleared of trees and usually enclosed; "he planted a field of wheat"
field of fire - the area that a weapon or group of weapons can cover effectively with gun fire from a given position
grounds - a tract of land cleared for some special purposes (recreation or burial etc.)
athletic field, playing area, playing field, field - a piece of land prepared for playing a game; "the home crowd cheered when Princeton took the field"
geographic area, geographic region, geographical area, geographical region - a demarcated area of the Earth
industrial park - a tract of land at a distance from city center that is designed for a cluster of businesses and factories
grassland - land where grass or grasslike vegetation grows and is the dominant form of plant life
mud flat - a tract of low muddy land near an estuary; covered at high tide and exposed at low tide
parade ground - an area for holding parades
fairground - an open area for holding fairs or exhibitions or circuses
midway - the place at a fair or carnival where sideshows and similar amusements are located
fairway - a tract of ground free of obstacles to movement
park, parkland - a large area of land preserved in its natural state as public property; "there are laws that protect the wildlife in this park"
common, commons, green, park - a piece of open land for recreational use in an urban area; "they went for a walk in the park"
toll plaza - an area where tollbooths are located
range - a large tract of grassy open land on which livestock can graze; "they used to drive the cattle across the open range every spring"; "he dreamed of a home on the range"
sector - a portion of a military position
land site, site - the piece of land on which something is located (or is to be located); "a good site for the school"
subdivision - an area composed of subdivided lots
mine field - a tract of land containing explosive mines
terrain - a piece of ground having specific characteristics or military potential; "they decided to attack across the rocky terrain"
plot of ground, plot of land, patch, plot - a small area of ground covered by specific vegetation; "a bean plot"; "a cabbage patch"; "a briar patch"
lot - a parcel of land having fixed boundaries; "he bought a lot on the lake"
yard - a tract of land enclosed for particular activities (sometimes paved and usually associated with buildings); "they opened a repair yard on the edge of town"
yard - a tract of land where logs are accumulated
|2.||tract - a system of body parts that together serve some particular purpose|
system - a group of physiologically or anatomically related organs or parts; "the body has a system of organs for digestion"
urinary tract - the organs and tubes involved in the production and excretion of urine
|3.||tract - a brief treatise on a subject of interest; published in the form of a booklet|
treatise - a formal exposition
|4.||tract - a bundle of myelinated nerve fibers following a path through the brain|
optic radiation, radiatio optica - a nerve pathway from the lateral geniculate body to the visual cortex
commissure - a bundle of nerve fibers passing from one side to the other of the brain or spinal cord
noun area, lot, region, estate, district, stretch, quarter, territory, extent, zone, plot, expanse A vast tract of land is ready for development.
جِهاز، نِظاممَقالَه، كُرّاسَه، كُتَيِّبمِنْطَقَه واسِعَه
arazi parçasıdinsel dergirisalesistem
1. a piece of land. stuk grond مِنْطَقَه واسِعَه парче земя lote kraj ausgedehnte Fläche område έκτασηextensión maa-ala قطعه؛ قواره maa-alue étendueמרחב क्षेत्र predjel, komad zemlje terület sebidang tanah svæði, spilda tratto, estensione 土地の広がり 지대 žemės plotas zemesgabals kawasan landstreekparsell, landområde połać قطعه، قواره întindere полоса пространства kraj, oblasť kos zemljišča parče zemlje område พื้นที่ arazi parçası 一片土地 ділянка; обшир, площина قطعۂ زمين dải đất 一片土地
2. a system formed by connected parts of the body. the digestive tract. stelsel جِهاز، نِظام тракт aparelho ústrojí der Trakt system; -system σύστημα του οργανισμού tracto; aparato trakt دستگاه kanava système; appareilמערכת शरीर के अंगों की कार्य प्रणाली trakt, sustav szerv sistem meltingarvegur apparato 器管系 (기관의) 관 traktas trakts saluran` kanaal-organer, –system, –veier przewód دستګاه aparelho tract, sistem, aparat тракт ústrojenstvo, systém trakt trakt system, apparat ระบบ sistem (動物身體有關器官的)系統 тракт نظام ống, bó （动物身体有关器官的）系统
3. a short essay or booklet. traktement مَقالَه، كُرّاسَه، كُتَيِّب брошура opúsculo traktát die Broschüre skrift φυλλάδιοfolleto traktaat, brošüür رساله kirjoitelma tractחוברת धार्मिक या राजनीतिक मामले से सम्बन्धित लघुनिबन्ध पुस्तिका traktat, rasprava traktátus karangan pendek bæklingur opuscolo 小冊子 소책자 apybraiža, brošiūra traktāts risalah verhandelingessay, skrifttraktat, rozprawa رساله opúsculo broşură трактат; брошюра traktát kratka razprava traktat skrift, broschyr, traktat หนังสือเล่มเล็ก ๆ dinsel dergi, (dinî) risale 短文，小冊子 невеликий трактат; брошура کتابچہ، چھوٹا مضمون bài văn ngắn 短文，小册子
n. tracto, tubo, vía, vías, sistema alargado compuesto de tejidos y órganos que actúan coordinadamente para desempeñar una función;
alimentary ___ → ___ alimenticio;
ascending ___ → ___ ascendiente;
biliary ___ → ___ biliar;
digestive ___ → ___ digestivo;
genitourinary ___ → ___ genitourinario;
olfactory ___ → vía olfatoria;
pyramidal ___ → ___ piramidal;
respiratory ___ → ___ o vía respiratoria.