anterior(redirected from anterior station trypanosomes)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. Placed before or in front.
2. Occurring before in time; earlier.
a. Located near or toward the head in lower animals.
b. Located on or near the front of the body in higher animals.
c. Located on or near the front of an organ or on the ventral surface of the body in humans.
4. Botany In front of and facing away from the axis or stem.
an·te′ri·or′i·ty (-ôr′ĭ-tē, -ŏr′-) n.
1. situated at or towards the front
2. earlier in time
3. (Zoology) zoology of or near the head end
4. (Botany) botany (of part of a flower or leaf) situated farthest away from the main stem
[C17: from Latin, comparative of ante before]
an•te•ri•or(ænˈtɪər i ər)
1. situated before or at the front of; fore (opposed to posterior).
a. (in animals and embryos) pertaining to or toward the head or forward end of the body.
b. (in humans and other primates) pertaining to or toward the front plane of the body, equivalent to the ventral surface of quadrupeds.
3. preceding in time or sequence; earlier.
[1535–45; < Latin, comp. of ante before, after posterior]
an•te`ri•or′i•ty (-ˈɔr ɪ ti, -ˈɒr-) n.
1. In front of; ventral.
2. Toward or at the front.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||anterior - a tooth situated at the front of the mouth; "his malocclusion was caused by malposed anteriors"|
tooth - hard bonelike structures in the jaws of vertebrates; used for biting and chewing or for attack and defense
bucktooth - a large projecting front tooth
|Adj.||1.||anterior - of or near the head end or toward the front plane of a body|
front - relating to or located in the front; "the front lines"; "the front porch"
posterior - located at or near or behind a part or near the end of a structure
|2.||anterior - earlier in time|
antecedent - preceding in time or order
anterior[ænˈtɪərɪəʳ] ADJ → anterior (to a)
anterior[ænˈtɪərɪər] adj → antérieur(e)
a. anterior, precedente; [body position] anterior o ventral; [time] previo-a.