Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to apartheid: Nelson Mandela
1. An official policy of racial segregation formerly practiced in the Republic of South Africa, involving political, legal, and economic discrimination against nonwhites.
2. A policy or practice of separating or segregating groups.
3. The condition of being separated from others; segregation.
[Afrikaans : Dutch apart, separate (from French à part, apart; see apart) + Dutch -heid, -hood.]
(Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (in South Africa) the official government policy of racial segregation; officially renounced in 1992
[C20: Afrikaans, from apart apart + -heid -hood]
a•part•heid(əˈpɑrt heɪt, -haɪt)
1. (in the Republic of South Africa) a former rigid policy of segregation of the nonwhite population.
2. any system or practice that separates people according to race, caste, etc.
apartheid- From Dutch apart, "separate," and -heid, "-hood," it is pronounced uh-PAHR-tayt or uh-PAHR-tight.
See also related terms for hood.
the policy of strict racial segregation and political and economic discrimination against non-whites practiced in the Republic of South Africa.See also: Race
the policy of strict racial segregation and political and economie discrimination against non-whites practiced in the Republic of South Africa.See also: Government
1. An Afrikaans word meaning the state of being apart, used to mean the government policy of racial segregation formerly practiced by South Africa.
2. An Afrikaans word, meaning state of being apart, used for the Afrikaner doctrine of racial segregation which made people of mixed race or African descent into second-class citizens, restricted geographically, educationally, socially, and professionally.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||apartheid - a social policy or racial segregation involving political and economic and legal discrimination against people who are not Whites; the former official policy in South Africa|
social policy - a policy of for dealing with social issues