Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
a. Astronomy The point in an orbit around the planet Earth where the orbiting body is farthest from the planet.
b. The analogous point in an orbit around a celestial body other than Earth. Not in technical use.
2. The farthest or highest point; the apex: "The golden age of American sail, which began with the fast clipper ships in 1848, reached its apogee in the Gold Rush years" (Los Angeles Times).
[French apogée, from New Latin apogaeum, from Greek apogaion, from neuter of apogaios, far from the earth : apo-, apo- + gaia, earth.]
ap′o·ge′an (-jē′ən) adj.
1. (Astronomy) the point in its orbit around the earth when the moon or an artificial satellite is at its greatest distance from the earth. Compare perigee
2. the highest point
[C17: from New Latin apogaeum (influenced by French apogée), from Greek apogaion, from apogaios away from the earth, from apo- + gaia earth]
1. the point in the orbit of the moon or of an artificial satellite at which it is farthest from the earth. Compare perigee.
2. the highest or most exalted point; climax: an apogee of artistic development.
[1585–95; alter. (after French apogée) of earlier apogaeum < Latin < Greek apógaion (diástema) off-earth (distance), neuter of apógaios (adj.)]
1. The point farthest from the Earth's center in the orbit of the moon or an artificial satellite.
2. The point in the orbit of a body, such as a satellite, where it is farthest from the body around which it revolves, such as a planet. Compare perigee.
The point at which a missile trajectory or a satellite orbit is farthest from the center of the gravitational field of the controlling body or bodies.
the farthest point in an orbit from the body being orbited.See also: Planets
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||apogee - a final climactic stage; "their achievements stand as a culmination of centuries of development"|
|2.||apogee - apoapsis in Earth orbit; the point in its orbit where a satellite is at the greatest distance from the Earth|
apoapsis, point of apoapsis - (astronomy) the point in an orbit farthest from the body being orbited
perigee - periapsis in Earth orbit; the point in its orbit where a satellite is nearest to the Earth