Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A ghostly figure; a specter.
2. A sudden or unusual sight: "[The designer's] indoor-outdoor reversals and juxtapositions call forth a Magritte apparition beneath a Miami moon" (Herbert Muschamp).
3. The act of appearing; appearance.
[Middle English apparicioun, from Old French apparition, from Late Latin appāritiō, appāritiōn-, an appearance, from Latin appāritus, past participle of appārēre, to appear; see appear.]
1. an appearance, esp of a ghost or ghostlike figure
2. the figure so appearing; phantom; spectre
3. the act of appearing or being visible
[C15: from Late Latin appāritiō, from Latin: attendance, from appārēre to appear]
ap•pa•ri•tion(ˌæp əˈrɪʃ ən)
1. a ghostly appearance of a person or thing.
2. something making a remarkable or incongruous appearance.
3. an act of becoming visible; appearance.
[1400–50; late Middle English apparicio(u)n < Anglo-French, Old French < Late Latin appāritiō]
A ghost, or something that appears to be present.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||apparition - a ghostly appearing figure; "we were unprepared for the apparition that confronted us"|
disembodied spirit, spirit - any incorporeal supernatural being that can become visible (or audible) to human beings
Flying Dutchman - the captain of a phantom ship (the Flying Dutchman) who was condemned to sail against the wind until Judgment Day
|2.||apparition - the appearance of a ghostlike figure; "I was recalled to the present by the apparition of a frightening specter"|
appearance - the event of coming into sight
|3.||apparition - something existing in perception only; "a ghostly apparition at midnight"|
flying saucer, UFO, unidentified flying object - an (apparently) flying object whose nature is unknown; especially those considered to have extraterrestrial origins
Flying Dutchman - a phantom ship that is said to appear in storms near the Cape of Good Hope
ghost, specter, wraith, spectre, spook, shade - a mental representation of some haunting experience; "he looked like he had seen a ghost"; "it aroused specters from his past"
|4.||apparition - an act of appearing or becoming visible unexpectedly; "natives were amazed at the apparition of this white stranger"|
appearance - the act of appearing in public view; "the rookie made a brief appearance in the first period"; "it was Bernhardt's last appearance in America"