Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to appealable: Appellable
1. An earnest or urgent request, entreaty, or supplication.
2. A resort to a higher authority or greater power, as for sanction, corroboration, or a decision: an appeal to reason; an appeal to her listener's sympathy.
a. A higher court's review of the correctness of a decision by a lower court.
b. A case so reviewed.
c. A request for a higher court to review the decision of a lower court.
4. The power of attracting or of arousing interest: a city with special appeal for museumgoers.
v. ap·pealed, ap·peal·ing, ap·peals
1. To make an earnest or urgent request, as for help.
2. To have recourse, as for corroboration; resort: I appeal to your sense of justice.
3. Law To make or request an appeal.
4. To be attractive or interesting: The idea didn't appeal to me.
To request for an appeal of (a case) to a higher court for rehearing.
In the process of being appealed; while being appealed.
[Middle English apel, from Old French, from apeler, to appeal, from Latin appellāre, to entreat; see pel- in Indo-European roots.]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||appealable - capable of being appealed especially to a higher tribunal; "decisions...appealable to the head of the agency"- New Republic|
unappealable - not subject to appeal; "the judge's ruling was handed down in a preliminary hearing rather than a trial and was therefore unappealable"