Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms.
Related to applier: appliers
v. ap·plied, ap·ply·ing, ap·plies
1. To bring into contact with something; put on: applied glue sparingly to the paper.
2. To put to or adapt for a special use: applies all her money to her mortgage.
3. To put into action: applied the brakes.
4. To engage (oneself) in a task with close attention or persistence: applied myself to my studies.
1. To be pertinent or relevant: a rule that applies to everyone.
2. To request or seek assistance, employment, or admission: applied for unemployment benefits; will apply to college next year.
[Middle English applien, from Old French aplier, from Latin applicāre, to affix : ad-, ad- + plicāre, to fold together; see plek- in Indo-European roots.]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||applier - a person who requests or seeks something such as assistance or employment or admission|
individual, mortal, person, somebody, someone, soul - a human being; "there was too much for one person to do"
aspirant, aspirer, hopeful, wannabe, wannabee - an ambitious and aspiring young person; "a lofty aspirant"; "two executive hopefuls joined the firm"; "the audience was full of Madonna wannabes"
bidder - someone who makes an offer
claimant - someone who claims a benefit or right or title; "claimants of unemployment compensation"; "he was a claimant to the throne"
job candidate - an applicant who is being considered for a job
material - a person judged suitable for admission or employment; "he was university material"; "she was vice-presidential material"
petitioner, requester, suppliant, supplicant - one praying humbly for something; "a suppliant for her favors"
possible - an applicant who might be suitable
probable - an applicant likely to be chosen
submitter - someone who submits something (as an application for a job or a manuscript for publication etc.) for the judgment of others; "he was a prolific submitter of proposals"
|2.||applier - a device for applying a substance |
device - an instrumentality invented for a particular purpose; "the device is small enough to wear on your wrist"; "a device intended to conserve water"
flux applicator - an applicator for applying flux (as in soldering)
paintbrush - a brush used as an applicator (to apply paint)
spray gun - an applicator resembling a gun for applying liquid substances (as paint) in the form of a spray