appliqué(redirected from appliquéing)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
A decoration or ornament, as in needlework, made by cutting pieces of one material and applying them to the surface of another.
tr.v. ap·pli·quéd, ap·pli·qué·ing, ap·pli·qués
To decorate by cutting pieces of one material and applying them to the surface of another.
[French, past participle of appliquer, to apply, from Latin applicāre, to affix; see apply.]
1. (Knitting & Sewing) a decoration or trimming of one material sewn or otherwise fixed onto another
2. (Knitting & Sewing) the practice of decorating in this way
vb, -qués, -quéing or -quéd
(Knitting & Sewing) (tr) to sew or fix (a decoration) on as an appliqué
[C18: from French, literally: applied]
1. a cutout design that is sewn upon or otherwise applied to a piece of material.v.t.
2. to apply (a cutout) as an appliqué to.
[1835–45; < French: applied, fastened to]
Past participle: appliquéd
1. An alien material applied to the surface of an art object or painting for ornamentation.
2. A decoration stitched to a garment or piece of material, or the technique of doing this.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||applique - a decorative design made of one material sewn over another|
|Verb||1.||applique - sew on as a decoration|