arithmetic mean


Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.

ar·ith·met·ic mean

(ăr′ĭth-mĕt′ĭk)
n.
The value obtained by dividing the sum of a set of quantities by the number of quantities in the set. Also called average.

arithmetic mean

n
(Mathematics) an average value of a set of integers, terms, or quantities, expressed as their sum divided by their number: the arithmetic mean of 3, 4, and 8 is 5. Often shortened to: mean Also called: average Compare geometric mean

ar′ithmet′ic mean′


n.
the mean obtained by adding several quantities together and dividing the sum by the number of quantities: The arithmetic mean of 1, 5, 2, and 8 is 4. Also called average.

ar·ith·met·ic mean

(ăr′ĭth-mĕt′ĭk)
The value obtained by dividing the sum of a set of quantities by the number of quantities in the set. For example, if there are three test scores 70, 83, and 90, the arithmetic mean of the scores is their sum (243) divided by the number of scores (3), or 81. See more at mean. Compare average, median, mode.
ThesaurusAntonymsRelated WordsSynonymsLegend:
Noun1.arithmetic mean - the sum of the values of a random variable divided by the number of valuesarithmetic mean - the sum of the values of a random variable divided by the number of values
statistics - a branch of applied mathematics concerned with the collection and interpretation of quantitative data and the use of probability theory to estimate population parameters
mean, mean value - an average of n numbers computed by adding some function of the numbers and dividing by some function of n
Translations
aritmetický průměr
aritmeettinen keskiarvokeskiarvo
aritmetička sredina
media aritmetica
算術平均
średnia arytmetyczna

arithmetic mean

References in periodicals archive ?
The arithmetic mean is a measure of central tendency produced by dividing the sum of the prices of all items by the total number of items.
The experimental (E) group showed statistically significant improvements in the most of outcome variables compared with the arithmetic mean of the initial measurement compared to the final measurement.
67[degrees]C] the reading of the wet-bulb thermometer is the arithmetic mean between the dew-point and the temperature of the air.
Age--Descriptive data Age Height Number of cases 20 20 Arithmetic mean 33.
The classical Bonferroni mean is an extension of the arithmetic mean and its generalized by some researchers based on the idea of the geometric mean [61].
According to the literature review, the appropriate estimate of the market risk premium is the forecasted arithmetic mean, both for fixed income and for equity investments.
The counter representation can also be used to establish, for example, that (n + 2) is the arithmetic mean of n, (n + 2) and (n + 4).
The SEM standardized regression coefficients (Table 3) yielded partition coefficients of 50% house dust/25% yard soil/10% arithmetic mean neighborhood soil/15% arithmetic mean community soil (50/25/10/15) (Table 4) used in subsequent calculation of age-specific IRs.
The CPI uses an arithmetic mean (or Laspeyres) formula for all upper level index calculation, but employs a geometric mean for approximately 60 percent of all lower level indexes in terms of weight (a Laspeyres formula is used for the remaining 40 percent).
p] are called multiplicative arithmetic mean and p-arithmetic mean (as usually known p-mean), respectively.
Then, calculate the arithmetic mean (additive) or geometric mean (multiplicative) for the elements [A.
The substantial reduction in the safe harbor MADL for lead, coupled with OEHHA's draft proposals to require the arithmetic mean for determining average consumption and to prohibit averaging of concentration levels across 'lots,' will further arm private enforcers with even more opportunities to challenge businesses under Prop 65.