Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to aspersion: cast aspersions
a. A false or damaging accusation or insinuation: Don't cast aspersions on my honesty.
b. The act of slandering or libeling; defaming.
2. A sprinkling, especially with holy water.
1. a disparaging or malicious remark; slanderous accusation (esp in the phrase cast aspersions (on))
2. the act of defaming
3. (Ecclesiastical Terms) rare the act of sprinkling, esp of water in baptism
as•per•sion(əˈspɜr ʒən, -ʃən)
1. a damaging or derogatory remark: casting aspersions on a rival.
2. the act of slandering; defamation; calumniation.
3. the act of sprinkling with water, as in baptism.
[1545–55; (< Middle French) < Latin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||aspersion - a disparaging remark; "in the 19th century any reference to female sexuality was considered a vile aspersion"; "it is difficult for a woman to understand a man's sensitivity to any slur on his virility"|
ethnic slur - a slur on someone's race or language
|2.||aspersion - an abusive attack on a person's character or good name|
attack - strong criticism; "he published an unexpected attack on my work"
|3.||aspersion - the act of sprinkling water in baptism (rare)|
baptism - a Christian sacrament signifying spiritual cleansing and rebirth; "most churches baptize infants but some insist on adult baptism"