Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. Qualitative or quantitative analysis of a metal or ore to determine its components.
b. A substance to be so analyzed.
c. The result of such an analysis.
2. A bioassay.
3. An analysis or examination.
4. Archaic An attempt; an essay.
v. (ă-sā′, ăs′ā′) as·sayed, as·say·ing, as·says
a. To subject (a metal, for example) to chemical analysis so as to determine the strength or quality of its components.
b. To bioassay.
2. To examine by trial or experiment; put to a test: assay one's ability to speak Chinese.
3. To evaluate; assess: assayed the situation before taking action.
4. To attempt; try: "Singers of every race and nationality have by now assayed the role" (Barry Singer).
To be shown by analysis to contain a certain proportion of usually precious metal.
[Middle English, from Old French essai, assai; see essay.]