asteroid(redirected from asteroidly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to asteroidly: Asteroid impact
1. Astronomy Any of numerous small solar system bodies that revolve around the sun, with orbits lying chiefly between Mars and Jupiter and characteristic diameters roughly between one and several hundred kilometers. Also called minor planet, planetoid.
2. Zoology See starfish.
adj. also as·ter·oi·dal (ăs′tə-roid′l)
1. (Celestial Objects) Also called: minor planet or planetoid any of numerous small celestial bodies that move around the sun mainly between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter. Their diameters range from 930 kilometres (Ceres) to less than one kilometre
2. (Zoology) Also called: asteroidean any echinoderm of the class Asteroidea; a starfish
3. (Zoology) of, relating to, or belonging to the class Asteroidea
4. shaped like a star
[C19: from Greek asteroeidēs starlike, from astēr a star]
1. any of the thousands of small, solid bodies that revolve about the sun in orbits largely between Mars and Jupiter.adj.
Any of numerous small, often irregularly shaped bodies that orbit the sun. Asteroids range from several hundred miles in diameter to the size of a speck of dust. ♦ Most are found in the region between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter known as the asteroid belt. See Note at solar system.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||asteroid - any of numerous small celestial bodies composed of rock and metal that move around the sun (mainly between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter)|
Chiron - an asteroid discovered in 1977; it is unique in having an orbit lying mainly between the orbits of Saturn and Uranus
|Adj.||1.||asteroid - shaped like a star|