Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to asymmetric: Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line, Asymmetric warfare
a·sym·met·ric(ā′sĭ-mĕt′rĭk) also a·sym·met·ri·cal (-rĭ-kəl)
a. Having no balance or symmetry: an asymmetric design.
b. Uneven in distribution.
a. Existing or occurring between two incommensurate entities, especially to the detriment of one.
b. Characterized by an imbalance in power between two opponents in an armed conflict, especially one in which a weaker force uses unconventional means, such as guerilla or terrorist tactics: asymmetric warfare.
3. Chemistry Of or relating to a carbon atom having four different atoms or structural groups attached to it, resulting in an unbalanced spatial arrangement of atoms in a molecule, so that the molecule cannot be superimposed on its mirror image; chiral.
a·sym′me·try (ā-sĭm′ĭ-trē) adv.
asymmetric(ˌæsɪˈmɛtrɪk; ˌeɪ-) or
1. not symmetrical; lacking symmetry; misproportioned
2. (Chemistry) chem
a. (of a molecule) having its atoms and radicals arranged unsymmetrically
b. (of a carbon atom) attached to four different atoms or radicals so that stereoisomerism results
c. involving chiral molecules: asymmetric synthesis.
3. (Electrical Engineering) electrical engineering (of conductors) having different conductivities depending on the direction of current flow, as of diodes
4. (Aeronautics) aeronautics having unequal thrust, as caused by an inoperative engine in a twin-engined aircraft
5. (Logic) logic maths (of a relation) never holding between a pair of values x and y when it holds between y and x, as "…is the father of…". Compare symmetric1, antisymmetric, nonsymmetric
a•sym•met•ric(ˌeɪ səˈmɛ trɪk, ˌæs ə-)
1. not identical on both sides of a central line; lacking symmetry.
a. having an unsymmetrical arrangement of atoms in a molecule.
b. noting a carbon atom bonded to four different atoms or groups.
c. (of a polymer) noting an atom or group that is within a polymer chain and is bonded to two different atoms or groups that are external to the chain.
a•sym•me•try (eɪˈsɪm ɪ tri) n.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||asymmetric - characterized by asymmetry in the spatial arrangement or placement of parts or components|
irregular - contrary to rule or accepted order or general practice; "irregular hiring practices"