Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to asymptotic: Asymptotic curve
The x-axis and y-axis are asymptotes of the hyperbola xy = 3.
A line whose distance to a given curve tends to zero. An asymptote may or may not intersect its associated curve.
[Ultimately from Greek asumptōtos, not intersecting : a-, not; see a-1 + sumptōtos, intersecting (from sumpiptein, sumptō-, to converge : sun-, syn- + piptein, to fall; see pet- in Indo-European roots).]
as′ymp·tot′ic (-tŏt′ĭk), as′ymp·tot′i·cal adj.
1. (Mathematics) of or referring to an asymptote
2. (Mathematics) (of a function, series, formula, etc) approaching a given value or condition, as a variable or an expression containing a variable approaches a limit, usually infinity
as•ymp•tot•ic(ˌæs ɪmˈtɒt ɪk)
1. of or pertaining to an asymptote.
2. (of a function) approaching a given value as an expression containing a variable tends to infinity.
3. coming into consideration as a variable approaches a limit, usu. infinity: asymptotic property.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||asymptotic - relating to or of the nature of an asymptote; "an asymptotic function"|