Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Wikipedia.
Related to augmentative: Bbfc
1. Having the ability or tendency to augment.
2. Grammar Indicating great size, intensity, or power, as the prefix super- does in supermarket.
An augmentative word or affix.
1. tending or able to augment
2. (Grammar) grammar
a. denoting an affix that may be added to a word to convey the meaning large or great; for example, the suffix -ote in Spanish, where hombre means man and hombrote big man
b. denoting a word formed by the addition of an augmentative affix
nCompare (for senses 2, 3): diminutive
(Grammar) grammar an augmentative word or affix
aug•ment•a•tive(ɔgˈmɛn tə tɪv)
1. serving to augment.
2. Gram. pertaining to or productive of a form denoting increased size or intensity, as the Spanish suffix -ón in sillón “armchair,” from silla “chair.”n.
3. an augmentative element or formation.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||augmentative - increasing or having the power to increase especially in size or amount or degree; "`up' is an augmentative word in `hurry up'"|
increasing - becoming greater or larger; "increasing prices"
|2.||augmentative - intensifying by augmentation and enhancement|
intensifying - increasing in strength or intensity