Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to aureole: metamorphic aureole
au·re·ole(ôr′ē-ōl′) also au·re·o·la (ô-rē′ə-lə)
1. A circular or oval light surrounding the head or body of a representation of a deity or holy person; a halo.
2. Astronomy See corona.
[Middle English, from Late Latin (corōna) aureola, golden (crown), feminine of Latin aureolus, golden, from aureus, from aurum, gold.]
1. (Art Terms) (esp in paintings of Christian saints and the deity) a border of light or radiance enveloping the head or sometimes the whole of a figure represented as holy
2. a less common word for halo
3. (Astronomy) another name for corona2
[C13: from Old French auréole, from Medieval Latin (corōna) aureola golden (crown), from Latin aureolus golden, from aurum gold]
also au•re•o•la(ɔˈri ə lə, əˈri-)
n., pl. -oles also -o•las.
1. a radiance surrounding the head or the whole figure of a sacred personage.
2. any encircling ring of light or color; halo.
4. a zone of altered country rock around an igneous intrusion.
[1175–1225; Middle English < Latin aureola (corona) golden (crown)]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||aureole - the outermost region of the sun's atmosphere; visible as a white halo during a solar eclipse|
|2.||aureole - an indication of radiant light drawn around the head of a saint|