autodigestion


Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Translations

au·to·di·ges·tion

n. autodigestión, digestión de tejidos por las mismas sustancias que los producen.
References in periodicals archive ?
Autodigestion of pancreas and failure of microcirculation in pancreas are the main mechanisms in the pathophysiology of pancreatitis (6).
It is well-known that pylorus ligation-induced-ulcers are due to the rupture of gastric mucosal barrier and autodigestion of the gastric mucosa (Sairam et al.
If these enzymes become active inside the pancreas, the process of autodigestion occurs leading to pancreatitis (http://teachmeanatomy.
Acute pancreatitis is an acute inflammatory process of the pancreas triggered by the unregulated activation of pancreatic enzymes, leading to the autodigestion of the gland, tissue injury and a local and systemic inflammatory response with the variable involvement of distant organs and tissues (1) The main causes of this disease are gallstones and alcohol abuse, which account for 80% to 90% of the cases: the remaining 10% to 20% are idiopathic, and a smaller proportion are due to other etiologies, such as metabolic abnormalities (hypertriglyceridemia, hypercalcemia), pancreatic duct obstruction, medications, post-endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) and trauma (2).
In the case of physarolisin II, the temperature-stability profile may be at least partly explained by the preferred autodigestion at around the optimal temperature for activity.