Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to automate: automata
v. au·to·mat·ed, au·to·mat·ing, au·to·mates
1. To convert to automatic operation: automate a factory.
2. To control or operate by automation.
To make use of or be converted to automation: a food service that decided to automate for greater efficiency.
[Back-formation from automation.]
(General Engineering) to make (a manufacturing process, factory, etc) automatic, or (of a manufacturing process, etc) to be made automatic
v. -mat•ed, -mat•ing. v.t.
1. to apply the principles of automation to (a mechanical process, industry, office, etc.).
2. to operate or control by automation.
3. to displace or make obsolete by automation (often fol. by out).v.i.
4. to install automatic procedures, as for manufacturing or servicing; undergo automation.
Past participle: automated
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||automate - make automatic or control or operate automatically; "automatize the production"; "automate the movement of the robot"|
alter, change, modify - cause to change; make different; cause a transformation; "The advent of the automobile may have altered the growth pattern of the city"; "The discussion has changed my thinking about the issue"