Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to avatar: Kalki avatar
Vishnu as Matsya (top) and as Varaha (bottom)avatar
1. The incarnation of a Hindu deity, especially Vishnu, in human or animal form.
2. An embodiment or manifestation, as of a quality or concept: "Reagan was at his strongest as the avatar of American consensus, peddling a sunny normalcy, a happy-go-lucky and ultimately accommodating attitude" (Gil Troy).
3. A temporary manifestation or aspect of a continuing entity: occultism in its present avatar.
4. An icon, graphic, or other image by which a person represents himself or herself on a communications network or in a virtual community, such as a chatroom or multiplayer game.
1. (Hinduism) Hinduism the manifestation of a deity, notably Vishnu, in human, superhuman, or animal form
2. a visible manifestation or embodiment of an abstract concept; archetype
3. (Computer Science) a movable image that represents a person in a virtual reality environment or in cyberspace
[C18: from Sanskrit avatāra a going down, from avatarati he descends, from ava down + tarati he passes over]
av•a•tar(ˈæv əˌtɑr, ˌæv əˈtɑr)
1. an incarnation of a Hindu god.
2. an embodiment or personification, as of a principle, attitude, or view of life.
3. Computers. a graphical image that represents a person, as on the Internet.
[1775–85; < Skt avatāra a passing down]
A digital construct (often an image file) that represents the online user in a virtual world.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||avatar - a new personification of a familiar idea; "the embodiment of hope"; "the incarnation of evil"; "the very avatar of cunning"|
personification - a person who represents an abstract quality; "she is the personification of optimism"
deification - an embodiment of the qualities of a god; "the capitalists' deification of capital"
reincarnation - embodiment in a new form (especially the reappearance or a person in another form); "his reincarnation as a lion"
|2.||avatar - the manifestation of a Hindu deity (especially Vishnu) in human or superhuman or animal form; "the Buddha is considered an avatar of the god Vishnu"|
Hindu deity - a deity worshipped by the Hindus