Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to avulsion: avulsion fracture, nail avulsion
1. The forcible tearing away of a body part by trauma or surgery.
2. The sudden separation of land from one property, and concomitant connection to another property, as a result of a flood or a shift in the course of a boundary stream.
1. (Surgery) a forcible tearing away or separation of a bodily structure or part, either as the result of injury or as an intentional surgical procedure
2. (Law) law the sudden removal of soil from one person's land to that of another, as by flooding
[C17: from Latin āvulsiō, from āvellere to pluck away, from vellere to pull, pluck]
1. a tearing away.
2. the sudden removal of soil by change in a river's course or by a flood, from the land of one owner to that of another.
3. a part torn off.
[1615–25; < Latin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||avulsion - an abrupt change in the course of a stream that forms the boundary between two parcels of land resulting in the loss of part of the land of one landowner and a consequent increase in the land of another|
|2.||avulsion - a forcible tearing or surgical separation of one body part from another|
separation - the act of dividing or disconnecting
n. avulsión, extracción o remoción de una estructura o parte de ésta.