ax(redirected from ax to grind)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to ax to grind: get wind of, with bated breath
n. & v.
Variant of axe.
ax 2(ăks) or axe
v. ax·ed, ax·ing, ax·es Nonstandard
Variant of ask.
Our Living Language Ax, a nonstandard variant of ask, is often identified as an especially salient feature of African American Vernacular English. The usage occurs most frequently in the speech of Southern, working-class African Americans, but it occurs occasionally in the speech of working-class white Southerners as well. Interestingly, it was once common among New Englanders, but it largely died out in the early 19th century. The widespread use of this pronunciation should not be surprising since ax is a very old word in English, having been used in England for over 1,000 years. In Old English we find both āscian and ācsian, and in Middle English both asken and axen. Moreover, the forms with cs or x had no stigma associated with them. Manuscripts of Chaucer use asken and axen interchangeably, as in the lines "I wol aske, if it hir will be / To be my wyf" and "Men axed hym, what sholde bifalle," both from The Canterbury Tales. The forms in x arose from the forms in sk by a linguistic process called metathesis, in which two sounds are reversed. The x thus represents (ks), the flipped version of (sk). Metathesis is a common linguistic process around the world and does not arise from a defect in speaking. Nevertheless, ax has become stigmatized as substandard—a fate that has befallen other words, like ain't, that were once perfectly acceptable in literate circles.
n., pl. ax•es (ˈæk sɪz) n.
1. a tool with a blade on a handle or helve, used for hewing, cleaving, chopping, etc.
2. Slang. a jazz instrument, esp. a guitar or saxophone.
3. the ax,v.t.
a. a sudden, peremptory dismissal, as from a job.
b. a usu. summary removal or curtailment.
4. to shape or trim with an ax.
5. to chop, split, or break open with an ax.
6. to dismiss, restrict, or remove, esp. brutally or summarily: Congress axed the budget.Idioms:
have an ax to grind, to have a particular personal or selfish motive.
[before 1000; Old English æx, æces; akin to Old High German acc(h)us, a(c)kus, Old Norse øx, ǫx, Gothic aquizi, Latin ascia (<*acsiā), Greek axinē]
Past participle: axed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ax - an edge tool with a heavy bladed head mounted across a handle|
blade - the flat part of a tool or weapon that (usually) has a cutting edge
common ax, common axe, Dayton ax, Dayton axe - an ax with a long handle and a head that has one cutting edge and one blunt side
double-bitted ax, double-bitted axe, Western ax, Western axe - an ax that has cutting edges on both sides of the head
edge tool - any cutting tool with a sharp cutting edge (as a chisel or knife or plane or gouge)
fireman's ax, fireman's axe - an ax that has a long handle and a head with one cutting edge and a point on the other side
hatchet - a small ax with a short handle used with one hand (usually to chop wood)
|Verb||1.||ax - chop or split with an ax; "axe wood"|
|2.||ax - terminate; "The NSF axed the research program and stopped funding it"|
Informal. To end the employment or service of:
axe(ӕks) (American) ax noun
a tool with a (long) handle and a metal blade for cutting down trees and cutting wood etc into pieces. byl فَأس брадва machado sekyra die Axt økse τσεκούριhacha kirves تبر kirves hacheגרזן कुल्हाड़ी sjekira fejsze kapak öxi ascia 斧 도끼 kirvis cirvis kapak bijl økssiekiera تبر machado topor топор sekera sekira sekira yxa ขวาน balta 斧 сокира کلہاڑا cái rìu 斧verb
1. to get rid of; to dismiss. They've axed 50% of their staff. ontslaan يَتَخَلَّص مِن съкращавам despedir propustit rücksichtslos kürzen skære ned på κάνω περικοπές προσωπικού, αποπέμπωdespedir, poner de patitas en la calle, echar (töölt) lahti laskma, vallandama اخراج کردن leikata mettre à pied לְפַטֵר काटना otpustiti elbocsát memecat segja upp ridurre 解雇する 해고하다 sumažinti, atleisti samazināt; atlaist buang afschaffen, ontslaansi opp, gi sparken zwolniać خارجول despedir a da afară увольнять prepustiť odpustiti otpustiti sparka, avskeda กำจัด; ปลดจากตำแหน่ง atmak, kovmak 裁減，遣散 скорочувати چھٹکارا پانا sa thải 解雇，削减
2. to reduce (costs, services etc). Government spending in education has been axed. verminder يُخَفِّض النَّفَقات намалявам reduzir omezit, redukovat rücksichtslos kürzen skære ned κάνω περικοπή δαπανών recortar, reducir kärpima کاهش دادن vähentää sabrer לְקַצֵץ कम करना smanjiti leszállít (költségeket, stb.) mengurangi skera niður ridurre 削減する 삭감하다 apkarpyti, sumažinti samazināt; apcirpt dikurangkan verminderenskjære ned påobciąć په لګښت کی کموالی راوستل reduzir a reduce сокращать obmedziť zmanjšati smanjiti göra stora nedskärningar ลด (ค่าใช้จ่าย) kısıntı yapmak, kısmak 減少 зменшувати, урізувати گھٹانا ، کم کرنا giảm bớt 减少