azure(redirected from azures)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to azures: Azores Islands
a. A bright blue, as of a clear sky.
b. Heraldry The color blue.
2. The blue sky.
[Middle English, from Old French azur, from Medieval Latin azura, from Arabic al-lāzaward, the azure : al-, the + lāzaward, azure (from Persian lāzhuward, lapis lazuli).]
azure(ˈæʒə; -ʒʊə; ˈeɪ-)
1. (Colours) a deep blue, occasionally somewhat purple, similar to the colour of a clear blue sky
2. poetic a clear blue sky
3. (Colours) of the colour azure; serene
4. (Heraldry) (usually postpositive) heraldry of the colour blue
[C14: from Old French azur, from Old Spanish, from Arabic lāzaward lapis lazuli, from Persian lāzhuward]
1. the blue of a clear or unclouded sky; a light, purplish shade of blue.
2. the heraldic color blue.
3. the clear, cloudless sky.adj.
4. of or having the color azure.
[1275–1325; Middle English asure < Anglo-French, Old French, ultimately alter. of Arabic al lazuwar(d) (by misdividing the initial l together with the article) < Persian lāzhuward lapis lazuli]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||azure - a light shade of blue|
|Verb||1.||azure - color azure; "Morning azured the village"|
|Adj.||1.||azure - of a deep somewhat purplish blue color similar to that of a clear October sky; "October's bright blue weather"|
chromatic - being or having or characterized by hue