Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
a. A man who is not married.
b. A man who has never been married.
c. A man who is not married and is not involved in a serious romantic relationship.
2. A person who has completed the undergraduate curriculum of a college or university and holds a bachelor's degree.
3. A male animal that does not mate during the breeding season.
4. A young knight in the service of another knight in feudal times.
[Middle English bacheler, squire, youth, bachelor, from Old French, from Medieval Latin baccalārius, tenant farmer, perhaps of Celtic origin.]
bach′e·lor·dom, bach′e·lor·hood′, bach′e·lor·ship′ n.
1. the state of being a bachelor; bachelorhood
2. (Education) the state of undertaking a Bachelor degree