balance wheel(redirected from balance wheels)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. A wheel that regulates rate of movement in machine parts, as in a watch.
2. A stabilizing influence.
(Horology) a wheel oscillating against the hairspring of a timepiece, thereby regulating its beat
n., v. -anced, -anc•ing. n.
1. a state of equilibrium or equipoise; equal distribution of weight, amount, etc.
2. something used to produce equilibrium; counterpoise.
3. the ability to maintain bodily equilibrium.
4. mental or emotional steadiness.
5. an instrument for determining weight, typically by the equilibrium of a bar, from each end of which is suspended a scale or pan.
6. the remainder or rest.
7. the power or ability to decide an outcome.
a. equality between the totals of the two sides of an account.
b. the difference between the debit total and the credit total of an account.
c. unpaid difference represented by the excess of debits over credits.
9. preponderant weight: The balance of the blame is on your side.
10. the harmonious integration of components in an artistic work.
11. a wheel that oscillates against the tension of a hairspring to regulate the beats of a watch or clock.
12. (cap.) Libra.
13. (in a stereophonic sound system) the comparative loudness of two speakers.v.t.
14. to bring to or hold in equilibrium; poise: to balance a book on one's head.
15. to arrange or adjust the parts of symmetrically.
16. to be equal or proportionate to.
17. to add up the two sides of (an account) and determine the difference.
18. to weighin a balance.
19. to estimate the relative weight or importance of.
20. to serve as a counterpoise to.v.i.
21. to have an equality or equivalence; be in equilibrium.
22. to be in a state wherein debits equal credits.Idioms:
1. in the balance, with the outcome in doubt or suspense.
2. on balance, considering all aspects.
[1250–1300; < Anglo-French; Old French < Vulgar Latin *balancia, for *bilancia < Late Latin bilanx with double scales < Latin bi- bi-1 + lanx metal dish]
syn: See symmetry.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||balance wheel - a wheel that regulates the rate of movement in a machine; especially a wheel oscillating against the hairspring of a timepiece to regulate its beat|
wheel - a simple machine consisting of a circular frame with spokes (or a solid disc) that can rotate on a shaft or axle (as in vehicles or other machines)